Saturday, September 21, 2013

Older Isn't Necessarily Bigger

Hubby and I have the gigantic privilege of having our two grandchildren over to our house every Friday for a play day, and it warms our hearts to have all that preciousness in our home.  They are sweet little things.  Little things that I'll refer to as Thing One and Thing Two.  You know, sort of change the names to protect the innocent.  Thing One, our grandson, is five years old and his little sister, Thing Two, is...well...two.  You can imagine the joy, tears, power struggles, pandemonium, laughter, funny conversations and weariness that ensue.  Yesterday was no different.  Especially at nap time.

Thing One and I nap in the guest room with Thing Two in the portable baby bed beside us.  (What's that?  Of course I take a nap with them!)  Yesterday as we were settling in for our afternoon siesta, Thing One and I were talking, as we usually do, when the conversation turned to bones.  Thing One asked if cats have bones.  Yes, cats have bones.  Do I have a bone in my leg?  Yes, you do.  See?  Then I proceeded to show him how to feel the bones in one's body.  Do Angry Birds have bones?  No.  Angry Birds are not real.  Are teeth bones?  Yes, teeth are sorta like bones.  (By now Thing Two is blissfully sucking her pacifier and dreaming of Disney princesses.)  Deciding to seize the moment, I began to wax educational and told him that milk and cheese are good for building strong, healthy bones.  Thing One is no lover of such dairy products.  I know this.  With slightly wrinkled nose he said, "I don't drink too much milk," to which I replied, "Maybe you should."  He thought for just a second and promised, "When I'm twenty I will."  Picturing him at twenty years of age made me think of myself and I said, "I'll be 74 when you're twenty."  He wondered, "Will you be too big for the house then?"  Not being really sure if "big" meant "tall" or "round," I simply replied honestly, "I hope not!"

Little things.  They'll grab your heart.  One way or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment